Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Day 11 - Eating my words

I've eaten my own words a time or two as a parent. Most recently in relation to grocery carts.

This summer, I often went to the grocery store with all 3 kids in tow. It irked me when I would find all of the carts that have seating for multiple children were taken. I would have to use a regular cart. Henry, of course, refuses to even sit in one of those so the whole trip would be disastrous and the whole grocery store would know it. And as I was pushing a cart with one hand and manhandling a toddler in the crook of my other arm and directing the other 2 to quit skipping around each other and running into people, that's when I would see the mom with ONE child happily driving the car of the grocery cart designed for multiple children. I vowed I wouldn't use one of those carts if I only had one child with me. I would save it for the mothers with multiple who needed them.

Fast forward a few months and I'm shopping with just Henry because the girls are in school. He pitches a royal fit if we don't get one of the car grocery carts. So now I'm that mom. I will say that I shop at times when the stores are not busy and there are always a few carts that seat multiple children left for others to use. But yes - I am that mom. The situation changed. I have a new perspective that I hadn't even thought of before. My one child is used to using the car grocery cart because we usually have his siblings with us. He doesn't understand why we wouldn't use that one. It makes our morning so much more pleasant if he can do that and there are extra - so why not?

I have 3 children which has allowed me to be in lots of different situations and to see lots of different perspectives, but there are still many, many more that I haven't seen. I'll continue to form opinions to formulate rules for situations for myself and my family, but I want to always be open-minded realizing that their are other situations/perspectives that I might not understand. I don't want to fear change.

No comments: