Monday, October 17, 2016

Day 17 - Bourbon Chase over

We made it - we survived. 31 hours of running with our friends is complete. Leading up to the race I had a pretty bad head cold including a fever for a few days. I was still pretty sick when race day came.

 Adam and I were both in Van 2. Our van started running at about 5:15 pm on Friday. I was the second runner in our van so I got started about about 6 pm. I wore the reflective gear since it is required if you are running at 6:30 pm. Reflective gear includes a vest, a blinking light clipped to your back and a head lamp. I didn't turn on the head lamp. My first leg was rated a D for Difficult and it surely was. It was 4.8 miles and I average paced 9:20, which includes about 1/4 mile of walking. I felt confident on the first several hills but then they just kept on coming and one by one they were crushing me mentally. That "1 mile to go" sign was a beautiful sight! I finished with both ears clogged and felt very sick. I thought there was no way I could do any more.

At 5 am it was time for me to start my second run. I DID NOT want to do it. I sucked it up and started running. After the first mile, I realized I had made good time. I made even better time on the 2nd and 3rd miles. This leg was 5.7 miles. I came in to the exchange yelling Adam's name because I had made good time and I was worried he wouldn't be there looking for me yet. It was also dark and I worried he wouldn't see me. I paced 8:50 for that leg. I thanked God. That leg is what gave me courage that I could finish this thing.

My last leg was at 2:30 pm. My last leg was my longest leg, which was frustrating to run the longest leg on so little sleep. I felt nauseous from being up all night and taking so much medication, but the weather was unbelievably gorgeous and I was going to get to run on Old Frankfort Pike a gorgeous road through horse farms - that was my inspiration. I decided I would take my time and enjoy this last run. My average pace for the 6.7 miles was 9:40. I was very pleased.

Just some side extras:

I forgot my driver's license which is required at registration. My teammates graciously drove me back to my house (30 min out of the way) to go and get it.

I brought all kinds of snacks with me. I thought I would be so hungry running all those miles, but it surprised me that I was mostly uninterested in food. I ate only because I had to.

We got to see several bourbon distilleries along the way including Jim Beam, Maker's Mark, Four Roses and Wild Turkey. They all had beautiful and very distinct architecture and all were set in nooks of Kentucky hills near a creak. Adam and I dipped a Maker's Mark bottle in wax to seal it. It's a very touristy thing to do.

I miss running with Adam. We used to run together a lot before we had children. It's fun to get to do it again =)

No comments: